Resources for Seniors


logo for senior center


T.I.E.S (County of San Mateo)

Phone Hotline 1-800-675-8437

Teamwork Insuring Elderly Support (T.I.E.S.) provides general information on all senior services. Featuring a 24-hour hotline, designed to assist vulnerable elderly and dependent adults who need help but may be unable to get it for themselves.

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. 211 in San Mateo County can help you find food, housing, health care, senior services, child care, legal aid and much more. Call today.

Many older people need help paying for prescription drugs, health care, utilities and other basic needs. Developed and maintained by The National Council on Aging (NCOA), BenefitsCheckUp is the nation's most comprehensive Web-based service to screen for benefits programs for seniors with limited income and resources.

S.A.S.H. – Shopping Assistance for Seniors who are Homebound

S.A.S.H. is a grocery shopping and delivery service for homebound seniors who are able to cook for themselves. A volunteer shopper will shop and deliver groceries to you on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Your volunteer will take your order and deliver your groceries the next day. You only pay for the groceries; there is no fee for the service. For more information on receiving service or volunteering your time, call our services link line at (650) 522-7494.

San Mateo County Aging and Adult Services

Select children, families, seniors and persons with disabilities Providing a wide range of services to keep seniors, people with disabilities and dependant adults living safely and as independently as possible in the community.

Help at Home

Help at Home is a mini-reference guide published by the San Mateo County Commission on Aging. This guide, contains a wide variety of information designed to assist San Mateo County adults of all incomes to remain safely in their homes.

To obtain a free copy of Help at Home, you may print a pdf copy from the web address above, send an email or call (650) 802-7950 and leave your name, contact phone number, requested number of copies and your mailing address.

Well Being


Scams (COVID-19): Avoid them!


  • COVID Well Connected (formerly Senior Center Without Walls): free volunteer-led activities over the phone (like an old school chatline) such as meditation, music and history lectures:

Parks and Trails

Mental Health


  • Access books and audiobooks, stream movies, enjoy Rodin sculptures, even check in on the Sea Otters at Monterey Bay Aquarium, all online!


Friendship Line

  • IN CRISIS? Reach out. The friendship line provides counseling and support to older adults and adults living with disabilities in both crisis and non-urgent situations. Call 800-971-0016 or visit

Home & Community Services

How To Find Services In My Area

The California Department of Aging contracts with and oversees the local Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) that coordinate a variety of services for older adults, adults with disabilities, informal caregivers, and family caregivers.

You can locate the AAA in your area by selecting your county on the Find Services in My County page of this website.

What Services Are Available

Home & Community Services enables older adults to access services that support healthy living and promote independence. Together, these services promote older adults’ ability to maintain the highest possible levels of function, participation, and dignity in the community.

A variety of services are available and vary by area. Services are either provided directly by AAA or partnerships with service providers. Services may include:

  • Caregiver assistance and help at home
  • Adult Day Health Care/Adult Day Care/Respite care
  • Assisted transportation
  • Transportation
  • Legal assistance
  • Telephone support
  • Care management
  • Information and Assistance

Who Can Get These Services

Persons 60 years of age or older regardless of income level

How to Become an IHSS Provider

An In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) provider is someone who gets paid to provide services to a person who receives in-home supportive services under the IHSS Program. If you want to become an IHSS provider, you must complete all the steps outlined in the document linked below before you can be enrolled as a provider and receive payment from the IHSS program for providing services.

If you have any questions about the provider enrollment process or requirements, contact your county IHSS Office or IHSS Public Authority.

Additional Information

Report Elder Abuse or Neglect Reporting Abuse or Neglect of an Older Adult or Adult with a Disability.

Warning Signs

Here are some signs that an older adult or an adult with a disability might be experiencing, or at increased risk of experiencing abuse:

  • The adult has unexplained bruises or injuries, or the explanation given does not make sense.
  • The adult is experiencing changes in thinking or seems confused or disoriented.
  • The adult’s caregiver appears to be angry, indifferent, or aggressive.
  • The adult’s personal belongings, papers, or credit cards are missing.
  • The adult is hesitant to talk openly.
  • The adult lacks necessities such as food, water, utilities, medications, or medical care.
  • The adult’s caregiver has a history of substance abuse, criminal behavior, mental illness, or family violence.
  • Another person’s name has been added to the adult’s bank account or important documents, or the bank account shows frequent checks made out to cash.

Avoiding Fraud & Scams

These sites provide good information on how to avoid identify theft and financial scams:



Who to Contact

Note: If the person is in immediate danger, contact 911

If the abuse occurred in:

The community (for example: the adult’s home, apartment, boarding house) or in a hospital

Contact Adult Protective Services (APS) at 1-833-401-0832 and when prompted enter your 5-digit zip code to be connected to the APS office in your county, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day.

A licensed residential care facility, assisted living facility, board and care home, or adult day program.

Contact the local Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, the Long-Term Care Ombudsman CRISISline at 1-800-231-4024 or the local police or sheriff’s department. You may also contact the California Department of Social Services at 1-844-538-8766.

A licensed nursing home, rehabilitation center, intermediate care facility, or adult day health care program.

Contact the local Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, the Long-Term Care Ombudsman CRISISline at 1-800-231-4024 or the local police or sheriff’s department. You may also contact the district office of the California Department of Public Health for the county where the abuse occurred.

Like us on Facebook
Powered by InterServer